Replacement of Temporary and Permanent Restoration

What do I do if I lose a temporary or permanent filling or other restoration?

Although lost or broken restorations are not medically dire, if you
need a restoration replaced you will most likely experience pain and
sensitivity in the exposed tooth. Therefore, it is wise to make an
appointment immediately. In the meantime, you may be able to relieve
discomfort several ways, such as:

  • By applying clove oil to the tooth
  • Taking an over-the-counter pain reliever
  • Patching your tooth with sugar-free gum in place of the missing filling

Why did my restoration break or fall out?

  • Did you eat something hard, sticky, or chewy that may have broken or dislodged the restoration?
  • Do you have decay beneath the filling that is softening your tooth?
  • Have you had a facial injury?
  • Have you neglected proper dental hygiene techniques?

How will an emergency dentist replace my restoration?

Your dentist will likely create a new temporary, and then a
new permanent restoration for you. If there is a lot of decay beneath
the area of the missing restoration, you may have to undergo more
drilling and shaping of the tooth once its cleaned to ensure the
filling can be securely placed.

If you are in or around the Franklin Square area please call: (516) 565-3435. And, if you are in or around the Syosset area please call us at: (516) 348-2000.

The content offered on this website is for informational purposes only and does not seek to diagnose and/or treat any physical, medical, dental, and/or periodontal condition or disease. In addition, the offering and consumption of this content does not establish a doctor patient relationship. If you are experiencing any pain, discomfort, swelling, and/or bleeding in your mouth and/or jaw this may represent a serious condition and can only be diagnosed and treated by visiting a medical doctor, dentist, and/or periodontist in person.