What do I do if I lose a filling?
Missing fillings are not medically dire, but you will experience pain and sensitivity in the exposed tooth, so make an appointment immediately. In the meantime, you may be able to relieve discomfort several ways, such as:
- By applying clove oil to the tooth
- Taking an over-the-counter pain reliever
- Patching your tooth with sugar-free gum in place of the missing filling
Why did my filling fall out?
- Did you eat something hard, sticky, or chewy that may have broken or dislodged the filling?
- Do you have decay beneath the filling that is softening your tooth?
- Have you had a facial injury?
How will an emergency dentist fix my missing filling?
In most cases, a new filling will simply have to be applied. If there is a lot of decay beneath the area of the missing filling, you may have to undergo more drilling and shaping of the tooth once its cleaned to ensure the filling can be securely placed.
If you are in or around the Franklin Square area please call: (516) 565-3435. And, if you are in or around the Syosset area please call us at: (516) 348-2000.