Swollen, painful gums may be caused by several different issues. The most serious of these is gum disease, which may begin as gingivitis but could become periodontitis disease, a very serious condition.
Causes of Swollen Gums or Gum Pain
- Brushing/flossing too vigorously
- Canker sores
- Poor dental hygiene habits
How to Prevent Dental Emergencies
- Brush and floss regularly
- Use a tooth brush with soft nylon bristles and brush in a gentle circular motion
- Avoid flossing too vigorously
- Drink plenty of water
- See your dentist regularly
If you suspect you may have developed gingivitis or periodontitis, you should make an appointment to see your dentist immediately. Periodontitis is a serious condition that can have long-lasting consequences for your overall health.
If you are in or around the Franklin Square area please call: (516) 565-3435. And, if you are in or around the Syosset area please call us at: (516) 348-2000.