Dental Abscess

Dental Abscess at Emergency Dental CareAn abscessed tooth is a dental emergency

Abscesses of the gums or teeth form between the tooth and gum, or at the tooth’s root and can be extremely painful. They usually require tooth extraction or surgery to treat.

Causes of tooth abscesses

Abscesses are caused by bacterial infections and can come from any of these conditions if they are left untreated.

How do I know if I have an abscessed tooth?

Symptoms include:

  • Severe pain that increases with eating
  • Bad breath and bad taste in your mouth
  • Swollen gums
  • Fever
  • Swollen glands

How is an abscessed tooth treated?

First, X-rays will likely be used to identify the abscess and any bone erosion in the area. You may need a root canal to drain the abscess or remove the infected root tissue. After a root canal, the tooth is covered with a crown. The abscess might also be treated with a tooth extraction. Some abscesses might be treated by slitting the gum with a scalpel. Antibiotics will be prescribed after the procedure to prevent infection from returning to the site. Treat any discomfort with over-the-counter medications that contain ibuprofen, such as Motrin or Advil.

How do I prevent an abscessed tooth?

  • Practice good oral hygene.
  • See your dentist regularly.
  • Follow all of your dentists guidance.
  • Always see your dentist immediately in the case of a dental emergency.

Contact a 24 Hour Emergency Dentist

If you are in or around the Franklin Square area please call: (516) 565-3435. And, if you are in or around the Syosset area please call us at: (516) 348-2000.

The content offered on this website is for informational purposes only and does not seek to diagnose and/or treat any physical, medical, dental, and/or periodontal condition or disease. In addition, the offering and consumption of this content does not establish a doctor patient relationship. If you are experiencing any pain, discomfort, swelling, and/or bleeding in your mouth and/or jaw this may represent a serious condition and can only be diagnosed and treated by visiting a medical doctor, dentist, and/or periodontist in person.