Loose Bracket / Wires

    Loose Bracket and Wires at Emergency Dental CareBraces can transform a smile, but when these appliances come loose, it is important to take immediate action.

    Why did my bracket or wire come loose?

    Braces are a complex appliance inside the mouth with many
    components and breaks and other damage are common with orthodontic
    appliances. Some of the most common causes are

    • hard or sticky foods
    • sports injuries
    • accidents
    • normal wear and tear

    What do I do when my bracket or wire comes loose?

    • First, call a dentist immediately at (516) 565-3435 or (516) 348-2000.
    • Try to avoid worsening the problem, and do not attempt to remove the appliance yourself.
    • If wires or other pieces of the loose appliance are causing discomfort, cover them with a piece of candle or orthodontic wax.
    • Gently move any protruding wires away from the
      sensitive tissue inside the mouth with a pencil eraser to prevent
      discomfort and injury.
    • If pieces of the appliance, such as spacers or bands fall out, save them and bring them to your appointment.
    • If you are in pain, rinse your mouth with warm salt water, and take a mild pain relieving medication.

    How do I prevent my bracket or wire from coming loose?

    • Always follow guidelines given by your orthodontist.
    • Avoid excessively sticky, chewy, and hard foods.
    • Wear a protective mouth or lip guard during athletic activities.

    If you need dental emergency assistance, please call (516) 565-3435 if you’re in the Franklin Square area and (516) 348-2000 if you’re in the Syosset area.

    The content offered on this website is for informational purposes only and does not seek to diagnose and/or treat any physical, medical, dental, and/or periodontal condition or disease. In addition, the offering and consumption of this content does not establish a doctor patient relationship. If you are experiencing any pain, discomfort, swelling, and/or bleeding in your mouth and/or jaw this may represent a serious condition and can only be diagnosed and treated by visiting a medical doctor, dentist, and/or periodontist in person.