Braces can transform a smile, but sometimes these appliances can break. Broken braces require immediate care from an emergency dentist to repair the problem until an appointment for a permanent solution with an orthodontist can be made.
Causes of Broken Braces:
Braces are a complex appliance inside the mouth with many components and breaks are common with orthodontic appliances. Some of the most common causes are
- hard or sticky foods
- sports injuries
What do I do when my braces break?
- If wires or other pieces of the broken appliance are causing discomfort, cover them with a piece of candle or orthodontic wax.
- Gently move any protruding wires away from the sensitive tissue inside the mouth with a pencil eraser to prevent discomfort and injury.
- If pieces of the appliance, such as spacers or bands fall out, save them and bring them to your appointment. If you are in pain, rinse your mouth with warm salt water, and take a mild pain relieving medication.
How do I prevent my braces from breaking?
- Always follow guidelines given by your orthodontist.
- Avoid excessively sticky, chewy, and hard foods.
- Wear a protective mouth or lip guard during athletic activities.
If you are in or around the Franklin Square area please call: (516) 565-3435. And, if you are in or around the Syosset area please call us at: (516) 348-2000.